Forum

The climate of Tucson Arizona by Kathleen Wilkins

The climate of Tucson Arizona by Kathleen Wilkins

by Kathleen Wilkins -
Number of replies: 0

I love the weather here in Tucson Arizona because I'm an outdoor person.  Although summers are very hot, they are also very dry.  I love to ride my bike, and I can do it every day of the year here.

Ordinarily the hottest months of May and June lead into our monsoon season in July of heavy rains, which cool down the weather considerably, and are our main source of rain.  The temps that were 100 and above in June can be in the 70s after a monsoon rain event. 

Monsoons are very dramatic, with a build up of enormous dark cumulus clouds, punctuated by long streaks of lightning across the sky, and thunderous applause.  The wonderful life giving rains are a happy relief from the extreme June heat.  I love to watch the sky drama from a distance.

This year was an alteration from our normal summer weather pattern since no monsoon rain came in July and there has been only short bursts in different areas.  We are now in an extreme drought.

Our wonderful highway to Mount Lemmon which winds through beautiful pine forests and ascends to 8000 feet is open to use, but all of the parking lots and bathrooms are cordoned off because of fear of starting a fire.  If you watched the news, this summer there was a fire in our mountains that consumed over 60,000 acres.

Please join us here in praying for rain.